Saturday, 17 August 2013

Wrapped frames to make grids

For my frames a wooden sewing ring and different sizes of mountboard frames were used;
Ref 4.7.1
Ref 4.7.2 a and b
The top sample 4.7.1 was made using the sewing ring. I wrapped ribbons, cords, perle thread around it and then, trying to achieve a web like structure,  machine stitched over these threads in a circular pattern.  At certain points I captured small pieces of fabric and then a variegated perle thread was interwoven and stabilised with stitches and knots.
For sample 4.7.2a and b a mountboard frame was wrapped to provide a warp.  The sample 2a on left was then handstitched with random series of buttonhole stitch.  Sample 2b on right had ribbon used as weft which was then machine stitched.  To provide stability to fabric a machine running stitch was used before cutting threads from frame.

Ref 4.7.3 This sample was again made by working over mountboard frame but this time a perle thread was wrapped to give a wider work surface.  Strips of fabric were interspersed with perle hand weaving blocks.  A machine stitch was worked over the fabric strips to hold fabric.
Ref 4.7.4 shows the same mount but bound on warp and weft by perle thread which were then secured with machine stitching. Hand weaving in contrast thread produced the 'V' .  Fascinated to see that there were only eight letters of the alphabet that could not be made from this v shape! But all letters could be made using the technique.
Using recycled sari strips for the next wrapping Ref 4.7.5
The crossings were tied with procion dyed cotton ribbon, leaving long 'tails'.  These were then oversewn with machine zigzag.  A perle thread using buttonhole thread then formed a rounded 'V' !!!
While making the pieces for chapter 6 and 7 I had collected a cluster of threads and in an effort to use up things as I went along decided to make a new grid for future use. See ref 4.7.6 below.  It was made by placing on water soluble fabric and machine stitching in place.  As soon as I had dissolved the fabric I had a 'better' idea.  Sian had said that the fan shape in 4.4.4b made a lovely grid and as I had lots more yellow threads to use realised I could re arrange using the same method but in a more exciting shape.  The fan or shell like shape was beginning to nurture thoughts for my book like structure.  Suddenly Chapter 8 was beginning to promise an addition task to see how this shape could feature - that is once I had mastered the art of applying paper pulp to woven fabric on squares or oblongs! 

Ref 4.7.6


  1. Delicious colours and super to see them full size.

    1. Thanks, seem to have wandered around the colour palette!

  2. This work is stunning, only just started Module 1, but I will look forward to this module.

    1. Enjoy your adventure, keep me posted on your progress

  3. Lovely work Judith. Like Diane, your samples are making me really look forward to this module.