Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Stitchery into paper

 The task began with looking at what layers of pulp and paper or fabric went together for the stitchery project .  The decision making would chop and change as I progressed.  The changes have been charted to show original thoughts and see how they changed as time moved on.  
The first sample, 4.7.b3 from previous chapter, isn't too true to colour but have also included  two shots that happened when it was held up to the light - autumn is approaching so evening light  is bringing another dimension.  The background fabric is one of my rust dyes which was then over dyed with a procion dye before being selected for this sample. 

Front shadow                                                                 Ref      4.8.1 mounted                                                     Back shadow
Ref 4.8.1a
Ref 4.8.1a influence
The contrast would come after I had secured papers together with self coloured thread. Touches of stitches in blue were introduced where I played with the idea of rune letters before running a thicker thread through the spaces of drawn thread.  The ribbon was too bold so decided to 'ladder 'it to give a soft effect see bottom right of sample 4.8.1a.

Ref 4.8.2
Ref 4.8.2 The influence for this sample came from Chapter 2  4 .2.13 seen left. This sample had more paper pulp added to it from original idea in chapter 7 see Ref 4.8.2. an additional layer from the calico fabric that had been dyed with the paper pulp and used as a strainer when tipping water away thereby trapping pieces of pulp which were left to dry. I then decided to change background fabrics before sewing the final sample 4.9.2a  This was done to allow fraying and seeing through to background layer.  All layers were first secured with machine stitching I then took a rayon ribbon to make marks.
Ref 4.8.2a

Ref 4.8.3
4.8.3 influence
The letter in sample 4.8.3 was made from pulp. The background paper was attached to loose threads laid in a loose grid pattern. Random button hole stitch areas were stitched in previously pulled threads to attach paper and threads to a brusho dyed paper.  Areas of herringbone stitched in double twisted variegated Sulky threads were added.
The letter shape was a slightly less than 90 degree L shape which could conceivable considered as an angular root of the 'm' shape from my mail series in chapter.

Ref 4.8.4
Ref 4.8.4 detail
The sampling method of paper onto threads as shown in previous sample was used for 4.8.4 but decided to show the thread side this time.The spaces between and shapes of the paper made me recall the written block patterns from Chapter 2 and I wanted a stitch that reflected a loopy appearance.  This took me back to Module 2 and the ribbon stitch was the one I chose, number 20 on my machine.
Ref 4.8.4 influence
Ref 4.8.4 influence

No comments:

Post a Comment