Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Reverse Applique

Before starting this chapter I thought it would be useful to review aspects of Chapter 12 as Herta Puls was one of the chosen artist for students on Module One to review...her interest and detailed study of reverse applique and specifically her book The Art of Cutwork and Applique provides a wealth of background and examples.  With that and a plethora of websites to look at it is impossible not to be overwhelmed.  Early on in the course I tried to view websites but avoided blogsites which were a bit intimidating and prescriptive on design elements.  There seems to be a fine balance, when investigating or just appreciating others work, between looking  and not being tempted to copy or stiffling ones own thoughts...
My choice of fabric, threads and stitching, even after trying to make informed decisions, still leaves something to be desired.  Some of the layering was in the wrong order, notes of those concerns are on each sample so hopefully these will stand me in good stead as I head towards the last chapters of the module.  The result was that, as in previous chapters,  learning takes place while actually doing the practical feels like my mantra is becoming 'I should have done...!'  I did not want to flatten samples so these are photos and not scans.
Ref sample 26 i
Using cotton as background,  first layer and top layer silk was used for second layer.
On seeing the finished sample felt it could be improved on making background layer more interesting as the cross was much broader than I imagined.  Possibly use organza over the background as this was not going to be folded or made opening narrower. Stitching and 'corners' not executed as well as I had tried, felt I was all thumbs!

Ref 26 ii and iii
Enjoyed making these samples and have included 26iii with some of the overlaying fabrics left in place on photo at far left as it appealed to me and seemed to give added depth.  Base layer hand dyed calico, first layer muslin 'mop' layer two and three manufactured printed ctton.  Top layer hand dyed printed muslin.

Ref 26iv
Used seven fabrics on the sample felt as background, hand dyed green calico, yellow satin front and back as one side had more sheen(top right) and one more texture (bottom left under hand dyed muslin) two pink/red mops and top layer of hand dyed printed muslin.  Photographed the sequence, below to show the progress.  Used a long machine stitch to allow easier fraying.  On reflection when adding the green square would have placed it in bottom left

1st cut                                                                                                       2nd cut
3rd cut
Ref 26 v
Machine stitched the shape from the rear through the five layers of fabric;base layer felt, first layer manufactured printed cotton, second layer hand dyed printed muslin, polyester organza, 'mop' dyed paper bonded to chiffon.  Despite much rubbing to distress the surfaces found that much of the layering effect I had hoped for did not appear.

Tried to stitch layers open by 'ditch' sewing but the multi layer effect still seemed lost.  The paper on top layer distressed under the chiffon but this is not seen on photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment